Saturday 27 April 2019

Fate

“I’ll go if you want …” B_ said, then stalled because she was about to use the word ‘but’ and that word was a thief.  Instead; “Please take me back.” a shuddering breath, then;  “Please.” and her voice was weak with need, making her sound lost and lonely.
Then, when he didn’t answer;
“You deserve more than I am, M_.  I know that.  But no one wants more for you than I do.  You were promised greatness and I want to be the one standing by your side, being soft for you, being your comfort and sanctuary.  I promise I will do my best to be those things for you if you’ll only take me back.”
M_ gazed down at her, seeing only shadow, knowing that if he could see her face, look into those grey/green eyes, his resolve would crumble.  Whether it was fate reaching into the world or simple coincidence, the neighbour turned on his kitchen light and the goldenness of it shining through the thin curtains painted B_’s face and M_ saw the shine of her cheeks where hours of tears had painted their sorrow, and the glint of those pleading, honest eyes glowed, and the rusty sheen of her auburn hair framed her paleness, and he was lost.
God help us; in that moment we all were.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nest Of The Basilisk

Basilisk : (bæz.ə.lɪsk) - also know as the Serpent King, is a mythical beast with lethal breath and gaze, whose nest can be located by the s...