Tuesday 16 April 2019

Fathers & sons

On the way back home I had a conversation with  F__ that I’d had with him twice a year;
“You remember where the go-bag is?”
“Yeah.” F__ said, rolling his eyes like he always did.
“Humour your old man.” I said and nudged him with my elbow.
“It’s under the shed, double bagged in garbage sacks.” F__ said.
“And when do you go for it?”
“If you don’t come home when you say you’re going to and don’t call.”
“Or ...”
“If M__or Mom or Jamie say so.”
“Where do you go with it?”
“To M__.”
“Not Mom?”
“No.  Not Mom.”
“Because?”
“She’ll gamble all the money.”
“Good.” I said, “I know you love Mom, but she has a problem and we have to be real about it.”
“I know.” F__ said, staring out at the shadowy desert and the distant glow of local towns.
“Who do you give the big envelope to?”
“M__.”
“Nobody else?”
“The cops if M__ comes up missing too.”
“What’s in the bag that you need to keep secret?”
“The bank book in my name.”
“What’s the money for?”
“My education.” F__ said, “For college.”
“Not for a hot car or to spend on girlfriends.”
“Dad.”
I laughed.

I guess most fathers don’t have go-bags for their kids, nor have those kinds of conversations with them, but even though D__ treated me well and trusted me as much as anyone in his crew, I didn’t trust him.

'__&__' (hush, it's a secret until it's published)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nest Of The Basilisk

Basilisk : (bæz.ə.lɪsk) - also know as the Serpent King, is a mythical beast with lethal breath and gaze, whose nest can be located by the s...