Wednesday 1 May 2019

Young Love

“F_ told me he loved me last night.” Jaimie said.
“How do you feel about that?” I asked, studying her face.
Jaimie shrugged, “It’s nice.  It feels good that someone cares that much.  And I’m fond of F_.  Like, really fond of him.”
Jaimie looked up into my eyes; “He’s like you, B_.  Calm and caring, supportive and patient.  I feel safe with him.  I know he would never hurt me or use anything I told him against me.”
Jaimie looked down at her hands; “He’d be easy to love that way.”
“But there’s a big gap between ten and fourteen.” I said for her.
“Yeah.” she said, then brightened and looked up at me once more, “But who knows, right?  That gap will get smaller over the years.”
“So no boyfriend material nearby right now.”
“Yuck.” Jaime said, curling her lip, “In that town?  It’s all pickup trucks, booted beer, and grab-ass.”
We both laughed at that as we heard F_ finish his shower.
“I promise I won’t break his heart, B_.” Jaimie said.  I reached out and squeezed her hand.
“Thank you, Jaimie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nest Of The Basilisk

Basilisk : (bæz.ə.lɪsk) - also know as the Serpent King, is a mythical beast with lethal breath and gaze, whose nest can be located by the s...