Friday 12 February 2021

Nest of the Coquatrix ...

 


"I'm going to go now." Lawrence said, his voice suddenly weary and flat.

"Before you go, I'd like you to do one thing for me." Nigel said, taking a fresh pad of paper and a pen from his desk, "Are you right or left handed?"

"Right.  Why?" Lawrence said and Nigel saw the suspicion on his face.

"There's a technique called 'non-dominant handwriting'." he explained, knowing that he had to be candid to gain Lawrence's cooperation, "Your non-dominant hand is your left and I'd like you to write an answer to a question on the paper for me."

"Are you trying to make me look foolish?" Lawrence asked, staring at the pen and paper, "Getting me to scrawl a sentence like I'm a four year old so you can laugh at me?"

"Not at all." Nigel assured him, leaning back in his chair to relinquish all control or influence.  He needed Lawrence to do this willingly.

"This technique taps into our younger selves, which have direct access to our subconscious.  It can be revealing both to a therapist and a patient."

"What do you want me to write?"

"You've told me what Big Belly wanted you to do.  I want you to write down what you want to do."

Lawrence pondered.

"That's a big ask."

"I know it is.  But you have voiced a disdain for falsehood and secrets.  Doing this may open a door in our relationship that leads to understanding and validation."

Lawrence smiled.

"I'll make you a deal.  Give me an envelope and I'll write my answer and seal it in the envelope.  You can only read it after I'm gone."

"That sounds fair." Nigel said as he pulled an envelope from his desk drawer and handed it to Lawrence.

"And you won't laugh if it's messy?" Lawrence asked as he turned the pad toward himself and picked up the pen.

"I will never laugh at you, Lawrence.  I promise."

"What I want to do?"

"Yes."

"Don't watch me." Lawrence said.

Nigel swivelled his chair so he was facing the glass wall, still able to see Lawrence but not what he was writing.  He waited until Lawrence had finished, put down the pen and tore the sheet free of the pad, then folded it and placed it in the envelope.  He watched him carefully lick the flap and seal it, then place it on Nigel's desk.

"Okay." Lawrence said and Nigel turned back, seeing Lawrence's bemused smile.  He made no move to pick up the envelope.

"Next week?  Same bat channel. Same bat time?

"Thursday at seven-thirty."

"Groovy.  Later-skater." Lawrence said and left the office.

Nigel waited until he heard the elevator doors open and close then picked up the envelope and opened it, unfolding the page within.  What he saw drew the breath from his lungs.

In perfect cursive script Lawrence had written;


I want to kill her


Nest of the Coquatrix

Aaron D McClelland

Penticton, BC

GangsterStory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nest Of The Basilisk

Basilisk : (bæz.ə.lɪsk) - also know as the Serpent King, is a mythical beast with lethal breath and gaze, whose nest can be located by the s...